It seems more and more people these days are being diagnosed with high cholesterol. If you’re looking for easy ways to manage it without drugs, or even if you have normal cholesterol levels and want to keep them that way, here are 5 easy things you can do RIGHT NOW!
- Drink More Water – One of cholesterol’s main jobs in the body is to keep enough water in your cells. If you are dehydrated, your cholesterol levels might be elevated in response
- Eat More Fibre – The best way to eliminate excess cholesterol? Ahem, “flush” it out. Whole fruits and vegetables are a great source of fibre, and should be a “regular” part of your diet. Chia seeds, as well, contain both soluble and insoluble fibre to keep everything moving smoothly.
- Be Mindful Of Your Blood Sugar – Spikes in blood sugar and increased insulin production can negatively affect your cholesterol levels. Consider switching from processed grains to whole grains, and use honey/maple syrup/stevia/coconut sugar in place of refined sugars. Cinnamon is also a great addition to help balance the blood sugar, and keep those cholesterol levels in check!
- Choose Your Fats Wisely – In the 90s, we were told to cut out all fat in our diets. In the 00s, Dr. Atkins told us we could eat as much fat as we wanted. Neither one had it all right or all wrong. The importance is on what kind of fats we are eating. By limiting your saturated and trans-fat intake, and increasing your essential fatty acids, you can help keep your cholesterol in check. Flax, hemp, and chia are great sources of the all-important Omega 3s, and will help keep your whole body in working order.
- GARLIC!!!! – Raw garlic, in particular, has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. If you’re not about to chop up some raw garlic on your toast, don’t worry. Roasted garlic is still beneficial, and makes just about any recipe taste better. (Except cookies. No garlic in place of chocolate chips, please)
The beauty of this: everything you need to lower your cholesterol, you can find at your friendly, neighborhood natural foods store! Our Organic Select garlic is incredibly potent, and we have an ever-increasing variety of organic fruits and vegetables. We carry Xyla Coconut Palm Sugar, Dutchman’s Gold Honey, Wholesome Sweeteners and NOW Brand Stevia, and Canadian Heritage Maple Syrup. We’ve got all your Omega needs, with bulk chia, flax, hemp, and flax oils. Come on by, and let’s keep cholesterol low and health a priority!