Superfood Showdown: Maca vs Matcha

Two superfoods, both alike in name, in fair Toronto where we lay our scene . . . Maca and Matcha. No ancient grudge here, just similar-sounding products who have one thing in common – SO MANY HEALTH BENEFITS!

Let’s start with Maca

IMG_6045

Maca is referred to by our friends at Giddy Yoyo as an “Andean Super-Tuber”. Most commonly sold in powder form, this root is full of vitamins and minerals, and has many health benefits. Maca is an adaptogenic herb, which means it has incredible stress-fighting properties. It can help to energize you, if your energy is too low, without the crash associated with common stimulants. It is also beneficial for hormone health, and is often touted as a libido-booster.

Maca can be added to smoothies, yogurt, power balls, and is even found in one of Giddy Yoyo’s chocolate bars! Just be sure to start small . . . it can pack quite a punch!

Now on to Matcha!

IMG_6046

Like its similarly-named counterpart, matcha is also a source of vitamins and minerals. Made from powdered green tea leaves, matcha is also energizing, but mostly from its caffeine content. Matcha is different from other sources of caffeine, though, in that it contains the amino acid analogue L-Theanine. L-Theanine is known for its mind-calming properties, so it minimizes the “caffeine jitters”.

As it is a concentrated source of green tea, it maximizes the benefits of green tea: metabolism boosting, a great source of antioxidants, detoxification, blood sugar balance, and many more! In fact, you’d have to consume 10 cups of green tea to get the antioxidant benefits of one cup of matcha.

Matcha can be whisked into a tea (or tea latte), added to baking (a great-tasting natural green food coloring), or mixed in smoothies, oatmeal, etc.

Do you use maca and/or matcha? What’s your favorite way to incorporate them into your daily life? Tell us in the comments!

About The Author:
Kelly Boaz, CNP
Kelly is a holistic nutritionist, specializing in eating disorder recovery and food freedom. She is also a public speaker (TEDx King St. West, TDSB) and a writer. Learn more about Kelly, and about booking private consultations at kellyboaz.com Twitter: @kelly_boaz    Facebook: /KellyBoazDotCom

12 thoughts on “Superfood Showdown: Maca vs Matcha

1. Victoria

Hello! Great article!
    I love Maca root powder and I’ve been taking it off/on for about 3 years now. I’m really interested in trying out Matcha tea, so Im wondering if it’s alright to mix these two since they both give energy?
    I know that we all react differently, but ..
    Other superfoods I’m taking are spirulina, wheatgrass and soon gojiberri powder.

1. moberlynaturalfoods

Hi Victoria,
      Great question! I, myself, have both maca and matcha almost daily. In general, it’s best to start slowly and test small amounts. They work to give energy differently (maca via its adaptogenic properties, matcha via caffeine), so you won’t be overloading one system. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes!
      Thanks,
      Kelly

2. Alicia

I am interested in hearing how this went?
    Am I able to put both Matcha and Maca into the same smoothie?
    Thanks 🙂

3. Patrice Rioux

Every morning I have a peach matcha, and I also add half a teaspoon of maca as well. Leaves me feeling great all day! 🙂

4. Kelly Doherty

I deal with fatigue on a daily basis, AND am allergic to caffeine. I am leaning toward maca for that reason and was wondering if it is something you can just add to water, like you would matcha or is a smoothie the better way to consume it?

1. moberlynaturalfoods Post author

Hi Kelly,
      I find the consistency of maca to be more like a flour than anything – not the best on its own in water. I usually mix it in yogurt or a smoothie, but you can put it in baking, too. Start small – 1/2 tsp at a time, and work your way up.
      Best of luck!
      The other Kelly

5. Ada

I have a bottle of maca powder that shows an expiration date of 6/2015. Can I still use it? Will I still get benefits from it? Or should I discard it and look into getting a new one?
    Also, if I were to get Matcha powder instead, is it going to cause me to lose sleep the same as coffee?
    Thanks
    Ada

1. moberlynaturalfoods Post author

Hi Ada,
      I might toss the expired maca. I usually push things by a few weeks, but seldom a few years. The matcha does have caffeine, so if you take it too late in the day, you will potentially have sleep disturbances. Usually the L-Theanine helps mitigate that effect, but I’d still avoid having it after 3-4 pm.
      Good luck!
      Kelly

6. Melissa C

Hi! I was wondering if putting the matcha in hot water and drinking it as tea, vs just adding the powder to a cold smoothie..does either effect the bioavailability and/or absorption rate in the body more than the other? Same with the Maca. Thanks!

1. moberlynaturalfoods Post author

Hi Melissa,
      You can absolutely drink matcha either way and reap the benefits. Maca doesn’t work as well as a tea, but could absolutely be added to a hot beverage (with enough stirring). There is minimal difference between the two, in terms of bioavailability and absorption. Some vitamin content will be lost with heating, but some antinutrients will be broken down by heat, so there are drawbacks and benefits to both options. It will mainly depend on whether you’ve purchased a raw version or a gelatinized version of the maca, and/or how your matcha is ground.